Batchoy is a noodle soup made with pork organs, crushed pork cracklings, chicken or pork stock, beef or pork loin and round noodles. Its origins can be traced to the district of La Paz, Iloilo City in the Philippines, hence it is oftentimes referred to as La Paz Batchoy. I can say that this recipe is closed to the taste of the real batchoy.
500g Miki or Egg noodles
300g pork belly, sliced in small pieces
150g pork liver, sliced in small pieces
2 pcs pork heart, sliced in small pieces
1 medium sized white onion, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
12 cups beef stock or pork stock
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sautéed shrimp paste
3 stalks spring onion, chopped
1. In a pot add oil then sauté garlic and onion, stir fry until onions turn translucent.
2. Now add the broth, pork belly, pork heart, black pepper, sugar, soy sauce and shrimp paste. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Now add the liver and flavour it with fish sauce (use according to your liking), simmer for additional 10 minutes.
4. Cook the noodles according to instructions. Then once cooked place in a bowl.
5. Pour hot boiling broth in the noodle bowl together with meat then top it with crushed chicharon, fried garlic, spring onion and raw egg. Serve immediately and stir in raw eggs while broth is still hot.