Maja blanca is of Spanish origin which means “white delicacy” adapted from the dessert manjar blanco. Some call it coconut pudding. Maja blanca is a Filipino dessert made primarily from coconut milk, it is usually served during fiestas and during the holidays, especially Christmas. I remember my aunt making this top with crushed peanuts. I had tried this before but I was not successful :(. But now I am so happy as I did it right , perfectly! In fact my friend from Thailand loves it :)and of course the Filipino crowd who miss and love Filipino Delicacies.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked cococnut
1. Butter a baking dish or pie pan, and set aside. Mix 1/2 cup of water with the cornstarchin a bowl, and stir until smooth.
2. Combine the coconut milk, 3/4 cup of water and sugar in a saucepan over low heat, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, add the corn kernels, and then stir in the cornstarch mixture, stirring quickly to avoid lumps as it becomes very thick. Bring the mixture back to a boil, and simmer until fully thickened and smooth, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
3. Pour the maja blanca into the prepared dish, and set aside to cool until firm., about 2 hours.
4. Place the coconut flakes in a dry skillet over medium heat and stir to toast. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn.
5. Remove the toasted coconut flakes to a bowl, let cool, and sprinkle over the pudding before serving.