During one of the Filipino gatherings I tasted this kind of dessert that really captured my taste buds. From then on I fell in love with it and tried to search for a recipe. I tried asking the one who made it but I think she doesn’t want to share 😦 . I have found a recipe from sweetcherriepie.com and another one from HerWord. But for now I am sharing the recipe from sweetcherriepie. The cheese really goes well with the butter icing and it really compliments the flavor of the cupcake too.It’s yummy and my Irish friend really loves it ☺
Ingredients for cupcakes
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp of self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, separated
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup oil
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp sugar
grated cheese for toppings or quezo de bola if you have one.
1. Preheat the oven to 180’C and line 12 hole mini muffin pan.
2. Place in a large bowl, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Using a whisk, stir until there are no lumps. Make a well in the center and add the egg yolks, water, vanilla and oil. Blend till smooth.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peak form. Gradually add the 2 tbs of sugar and continue beating till stiff.
4. Fold a third of the egg whites into the cake mixture then gently fold in the rest. Do not over mix the batter.
5. Fill the cupcake cups 3/4 full and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Make the butter icing by combining the butter and icing sugar in a bowl and mix till light and fluffy
7. Once the cupcakes are cooled, spread the butter icing on top and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Next time I’ll try HerWord recipe for comparison ☺