My husband brought home some fresh squids and told me to cook it all in adobo style. It was more than a kilo so I decided to cook it in two different recipes one is adobo style and one is calamares, which is also my favorite especially if dipped in Hellmans thousand salad dressing. I used the recipes from http://panlasangpinoy.com/
- 1/2 lb medium to large sized squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 piece raw egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Combine squid, salt, and ground black pepper then mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a cooking pot the pour-in cooking oil.
- Dredge the squid in flour then dip in beaten egg and roll over breadcrumbs.
- When the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the squid until the color of the coating turns brown. Note: This should only take about 2 to 3 minutes in medium heat. Do not overcook the squid.
- Remove the fried squid from the cooking pot and transfer in a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with sinamak or Asian dipping sauce.
- Share and enjoy!
Squid in Adobo Style Recipe
2 lbs medium-sized squid, cleaned and ink separated
1 piece large onion, diced
2 pieces medium sized tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup water
5 cloves crushed garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp cooking oil
1. Heat a wok or cooking pot them pour-in soy sauce, vinegar, and water then bring to a boil.
2. Add the squid and wait for the liquid to re-boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat then separate the squid from the liquid. Set aside.
4. Pour-in cooking oil on a separate wok of cooking pot then apply heat.
5. When the oil is hot enough, sauté the garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
6. Put-in the squid then cook for a few seconds.
7. Pour-in the soy sauce-vinegar-water mixture that was used to cook the squid a while back. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
8. Add the ink, salt, ground black pepper, and sugar then stir. Simmer for 3 minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving bowl then serve.
10. Share and enjoy!