I just miss the pandesal I used to buy on our local bakery store in my country Philippines. It is usually eaten with coffee in the morning.It is also the most popular bread among Filipinos. So I then search for a good recipe , but of course there are loads of it so it’s up to you which one you will choose. I then manage to pick one whom I think might meet my expectations. I wanted my pandesal to be soft, crusty and of course tasty and this recipe didn’t fail me 🙂 from Panlasang Pinoy.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup fresh milk, warm
- 1 pouch rapid rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 piece raw egg
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
Note: I did not use bread flour as I can’t find one instead I use four cups of all purpose flour, still it turned out right.
- Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm milk and stir until the yeast and sugar are fully disolved
- In the mixing bowl, combine the dry ingrdients starting with the flour then the sugar, salt, and baking powder . Mix well by stirring
- Add the egg, butter, cooking oil, and yeast-sugar-milk mixture in the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients then mix again until a dough is formed. Use your clean hands to effectively mix the ingredients.
- In a flat surface, knead the dough until the texture becomes fine.
- Mold the dough until shape becomes round then put back in the mixing bowl. Cover the mixing bowl with damp cloth and let the dough rise for at least 1 hour
- Put the dough back to the flat surface and divide into 4 equal parts using a dough slicer
- Roll each part until it forms a cylindrical shape
- Slice the cylindrical dough diagonally (These slices will be the individual pieces of the pandesal)
- Roll the sliced dough over the breadcrumbs and place in a baking tray with wax paper (makes sure to provide gaps between doughs as this will rise later on)
- Leave the sliced dough with breadcrumbs in the tray for another 10 to 15 minutes to rise
- Pre heat the oven at 375 degrees fahrenheit for 10 minutes
- Put the tray with dough in the oven and bake for 15 minutes
- Turn off the oven and remove the freshly baked pandesal.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!